In Cabalistic tradition after the passing of your life in this world you will be judged by a panel of 42 assessors who will judge your life before you are weighed against the feather of truth.
(Maat’s note: this is based specifically on Egyptian religion. There, every soul must answer 42 questions from the Goddess Ma’at while having their soul weighed against the Feather of Truth.)
1. Hast thou given due thought to the body inhabited by thee?
2. Hast thou lived the fullness of time allotted to thee?
3. Hast thou refrained from being unclean in body and mind?
4. Hast thou loved with the body, only where the heart is also?
5. Hast thou had knowledge forbidden to thee?
6. Hast thou kept thee only to the sword or distaff?
7. Hast thou respected the bodies of the younger brethren?
8. Hast thou stolen?
9. Hast thou taken food and drunk to excess?
10. Hast thou killed?
11. Hast thou spoken unjustly in anger?
12. Hast thou looked upon the goods of others in envy?
13. Hast thou known jealously?
14. Hast thou spoken ill of any man or woman in anger?
15. Hast thou been un-diligent in work?
16. Hast thou profaned the mysteries?
17. Hast thou known pride in thyself that is false?
18. Hast thou strayed from the path allotted thee?
19. Hast thou lusted for precious metals?
20. Hast thou been too worldly?
21. Hast thou been just in thy dealings in the market place?
22. Hast thou repaid all debts promptly?
23. Hast thou been generous to the needy?
24. Hast thou lied to gain from others?
25. Hast thy tongue been as a viper to cause laughter in others?
26. Hast thou been a friend?
27. Hast thou hated another to the exclusion of all else?
28. Hast thou lent thy body to any from the other side?
29. Hast thou been thy parents joy?
30. Hast thou honored all faiths that are of the light?
31. Hast thou given time to be at peace with the gods?
32. Hast thou turned aside from wisdom given in love?
33. Hast thou listened to that which is not for thy ears?
34. Hast thou lived in the light?
35. Hast thou been a sword for the weak?
36. Hast thou enslaved any other life?
37. Hast thou faced the mirror of self?
38. Hast thou taken the words of his mouth from any man as thine own?
39. Hast thou known that all journeys end but to begin?
40. Hast thou remembered the brethren of the Earth, and been compassionate to those younger brethren who serve thee as beasts in the field and home?
41. Hast thou ever worked man or beast beyond its strength in greed?
42. Is there one upon the Earth who is glad thou hast lived?