When a Being is operating in his life from a level of Ethics, he has the ability to look at any situation and make a decision, based on what is best for all concerned. In other words, he is looking at what is the most optimum action to take that will benefit the greater number of the eight survival areas. He is not looking only at the result for himself. In any decision that an Ethical Being makes, he looks at: How will this affect?
2. my sexual relationships, my children, my partner..
3. the groups to which I belong
4. the other Beings in my life and the rest of the human race
5. the living environment around me
6. the material universe I exist in, that which I own, my time, my energy levels, the space around me
7. myself and others as spiritual beings
8. myself and others in relationships to the Divine source or creator.
To operate unethically, whole be to take an action that is not to the benefit of the greatest number of the eight survival urges.
Ethical actions are survival actions that require the Being to use Reason in order to work out the optimum solution.
Every Being is basically good. His personality, his basic intentions and his natural desire, towards himself and others is good. When he commits an act that jeopardizes survival on any of the eight areas, he will set his own processes in action to ensure that he either gets caught, or doesn't do it again. This is sometimes referred to as the Karmic cycle, but it can occur on a Now basis.
So what is good?
Good is survival action which is constructive rather than destructive, or that the constructiveness far outweighs the destructiveness across the eight urges for survival. Even when we are Ethical in our conduct, sometimes in order for a constructive action to take place, a small number of destructive actions must also occur. Any destructive action may be a right action if it enhances survival across the eight urges. When our behaviour is unethical in any of the eight urges for survival, it will affect our ability to survive at our most optimum level in those areas as well.
When we live by a code of ethics, we place upon our self certain restrictions to better our conduct in life. A code of ethics cannot be enforced, nor is it forceable upon someone. Living ethically is a choice we make in order that we may feel a sense of pride, a sense of being a decent person and respect ourselves:
A PERSON MUST CHOOSE TO KEEP HIS LIFE IN HIS OWN HANDS,
IF HE WOULD KEEP IT FREE FROM INFLUENCES,
THT WOULD TAKE HIM AWAY FROM HIS OWN BELIEFS AND CODES OF LIVING..
IF HE VALUES HIS SPIRITUAL FREEDOM
HE MUST CHOOSE BETWEEN THE TEMPTATIONS THAT LIFE OFFERS,
AND HIS KNOWLEDGE OF HIS OWN TRUTH AND PATH.
The word integrity comes from the Latin word, integritas, meaning, undivided, whole, untouched. Personal integrity is - knowing what you know. It is your own Truth, untouched by the opinions of others. It is owning that - what is true for you, is true for you because you have observed it for yourself, or you have an overwhelming sense of knowing that it is right..
What you know is what you know, and you have the courage to know and say that you have observed this, and that it is true for you. That is personal integrity. Our level of integrity is a reflection of our ethical viewpoints. When we have personal integrity we walk a path of truth and speak with the voice of truth.
WHEN A BEING CHOOSES TO WALK A SPIRITUAL PATH
HE IS FACED WITH CHOICES:
IS HE TO LIVE IN THE WAY OTHERS LIVE,
IN ORDER TO PLEASE THEM, TO FIT IN,
OR IS HE TO LIVE IN A WAY
THAT IS HONORABLE AND TO HIS OWN STANDARD.
SOMEWHERE, AT SOME POINT,
HE MUST MAKE A STAND AND GATHER HIS STRENGTH
TO FORMULATE, AND LIVEBY HIS OWN CODE OF ETHICS AND INTEGRITY..
Responsibility - is the ability to act. It is our choice alone, as to whether we will live our lives in a responsible manner. In order to do so, we need to develop our sense of ethics and integrity. Being responsible in our lives, be it for ourselves, or to, and for others, is about living and honoring our truths. As we accept and own our responsibility, so we enrich and empower our lives.
TO CHANGE OUR WORLD
YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR THOUGHTS.
YOU MUST BECOME CONSCIOUSLY AWARE.
WHATEVER YOU SEND OUT
IS WHAT YOU DRAW BACK IN.
CHOOSE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY
FOR THE THOUGHTS AND EMOTIONS YOU SEND OUT,
FOR THEY GO INTO THE UNIVERSE
AND CREATE THE EVENTS, AND CIRCUMSTANCES,
THAT COME BACK TO YOU.
No person can be forced to live in an honourable manner, but any person can choose to live by precepts which will enhance his/her spirituality and improve his/her life. These are suggestions taken from the wisdom of the Masters, and have been found valuable to reflect upon and apply when you are on a path of spiritual growth.
• Refrain from undermining or disparaging yourself in any way
• Acknowledge the strengths and power that you have, willingly
• Do not seek for praise, approval or sympathy
• Be mindful of your thoughts and actions at all times
• Your Reality is your own, do not compromise it in any way
• Love or care about who you choose and do not allow another to undermine or fragment that love
• Trust your knowing and listen to the Truth within
• Choose not to give or receive a communication, unless you really desire it
• Welcome Truth into your life. In whatever place you find Truth, no matter what name, group or organization it be labeled under, if you know this to be the Truth for you, take it
• Have faith in your goals and purpose in life
• Be your own person, refrain from the need to be liked or admired
• Be true to yourself and your goals
• Allow others the freedom to be who they are without the need to change them
• Do not justify or make excuses for any words or actions that you express in your life. Do be aware of your responsibility for them
• Show yourself honour and respect by remembering that you are important and deserve time out for meditation and relaxation
• The standard of Integrity, Ethics, Responsibility, and the honourable way by which you live your daily life, are a reflection of your Higher Self. Take time daily to conduct a self-analysis on what you have reflected out to the world, and what your inner reflections have been on this day
• Your spirituality, beliefs and the honour with which you hold yourself and others are far more important than your physical life
• Live in the moment, for it is the only Now that there is. All else is past
• Be conscious of the fact that you, and only you, are responsible for all that happens in your life.
~From a Reiki Master's teachings
Maat's Book of Shadows